Saturday, January 31, 2009

Being Asian is More Than Just a Tan


So, many of you may be aware of the recent casting of all white actors in the live-action adaptation of Avatar: the Last Airbender. If you haven't: unknown Noah Ringer as Aang, Nicola Peltz as Katara, Twilight's Jackson Rathbone as Sokka, and Jesse McCartney as Prince Zuko. I don't really feel I need to express my opinion on this issue because everything I need to say has already been said. All I can say, as a Filipino-American and someone who would love to be an actor someday, the casting of all white leads in a film based on a show heavily influenced by Asian culture, is disrespectful to the original source and is a form of racism. 

Please visit the following links for more information and take your time to really read them. Don't just look at this situation as "hardcore fans accusing the production companies as racists." It is so much more than that. It's something that I believe everyone should be aware of whether you are familiar with Avatar or not. 

No comments:

Post a Comment